EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. 2011

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Patchwork quilt of my life ...a tapestry of love.

My Dad sent the following quote in his gratefuls...

“Each piece of a quilt has its own color, pattern, texture and design with unique beauty and charm. But when the individual pieces of a quilt are sewn together, they become one magnificent work of art. Just as the pieces of a quilt have unique beauty, the people in my life have unique personalities, talents and skills. Their presence blesses me in countless ways.”


“Who are the people in the patchwork of my life? They are those I am close to as well as those I meet in passing. I give thanks for all of the people who touch my life in some way. I enfold them in prayer and hold them in a special place in my heart. They are an important part of the fabric of my life--a tapestry of love.”

I wrote this in response to how this quote inspired me....
I think in my patchwork quilt of my life I would say that my dad and mom started the quilt by bringing me into this world.  My Dad and Mom have had a great influence on the first blocks of my quilt. They helped me pick out my first color and pattern. They provided me with an older sister Laralynn to help me on this journey. I have learned a lot from Laralynn over the years. I always wanted to be like her and became pretty annoying at times by not learning how to stand on my own. As I have gotten older I have learned to glean from her wisdom but to stand on my own to feet. Then they gave me Lisa and Jan. I have learned so much from them and they weaved many different colors into my quilt pattern. All three of my sisters have helped me to keep quilting even when I wanted to let go of my quilt.



I know that my grandparents played a big part in the colors of my quilt. I learned from Grandma and Grandpa Ostler how to work hard and to do your best. I learned to be a salesperson from Grandpa as I sold Peonies with him. I learned how to give to others from my Grandma Ostler. I learned that I was "Miss America" and how to do the dishes from Grandma Hatfield. I learned how to face trials from Grandpa Hatfield. My Aunts and Uncles and cousins also weaved part of the colors in my quilt. Some were beautiful colors others were hurtful and painful but without them I wouldn't have made the beautiful reds, golds and greens.


I had some amazing friends like Angie Dallin, Alison Huff, Toni Holdaway, Theresa Lee, Susan Terry, Viki Bryant and others when I was young and growing up. They allowed me to grow and experience many new colors and add stiches to my quilt. I had my roomates at college, my teachers that cared when I was in self destruct mode that picked me up and did the quilting on my quilt and kept me warm. I had my bosses over the years that shaped and influenced me. They believed in me and gave me courage to keep adding new patterns and textures into my quilt. I have had many friends that have come into my life for a season or a reason and they made some beautiful quilt blocks that I cherish and think about often.


Brett has contributed to some of my finest work. The quilt blocks he and I have created together are the most beautiful and will last forever. His family, my family and my neices and nephews are continuing to help create new blocks to add to my quilt. But the greatest contributer to my quilt is my Savior Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father. They provide a way to remove any knots or ripped patterns. They help me to see my patchwork quilt in perspective and find the beauty that it is. I look forward to the many more years that I get to work on my quilt and seeing what new colors, patterns and textures that I will create.



I feel grateful for words.  I feel grateful that I can write my feelings down in words.  I love my quilt most days and I look forward to adding new blocks as I continue growing and learning.

Love, Karalee


2 comments:

Life with Laralynn said...

Karalee,
WOW!!! This post is amazing. I really loved it. You have such an amazing perspective.

Thank you for your influence on me. I am very grateful for you.

Love,
Laralynn

Jan said...

How incredible... You really are! What an amazing quilt you are making.