EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. 2011

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

ITP - a platelet disorder

I had my blood tested yesterday so they can check my platelet count. I was around 85 in May but I am 55 now. My platelet count keeps dropping and it's not at a dangerous level yet but it's hard to stay positive when there's nothing I can do to change it.

I like to be in control and with ITP there's nothing I can do to be in control. I can't change my diet, sleep more or get more excercise to bring my platelet count up. It's all dependent on if my platelets can fight the antibodies my body is creating against them.

I was diagnosed in February of 2008 with ITP and I feel hopeless today. I have done some research on this disease and they don't know a lot about it. It's not dangerous until the platelet count gets below a 20 according to the research I have done. Some of the side effects of having ITP is feeling depressed and fatigue along with bruising and your blood not clotting. I have been struggling today with depression, fatigue and bruising.

I had been hopeful that after my hystrectomy I would go into remission with my ITP but I guess not. I do feel incredibly better since the surgery and I need to remember that when I get a low number.....

Thanks for listening...I just needed to vent...

I want to feel hopeful....I want to feel peace.....

3 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for giving me some more information about ITP. I really believe most of the battle with any sickness that effects are body is keeping your head strong. Go to your happy place. I don't know if this will help but when my kids are sick I have them repeat several times throughout the day. My body heals itself. My body heals itself. Keep moving and rock out with those Jonas Brothers

Dad said...

Karalee,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Dad

Life with Laralynn said...

I love you. Hang in there.

Love,
Laralynn